Saturday 27 April 2013

Exploring Mass and Void Final Model- Leigh Garner

I have recreated my contour landscape as well as a new Mass/void model. I have taken my ideas from my last model and explored a different area of terrain to place it on, I felt my last model lacked some of the details I was trying to express from my Wooden model (the vertical and horizontal lines), I still wanted to run with the theme of organically growing the model around the landscape, incorporating it rather than just placing it on top. I have also chosen wood as my final material for the contours and clay for the mass/void model, this gives a nice natural finish.

I have created a brief video to explain verbally a little more about my design


Also here are some photos.

Front view showing vertical elements in foreground and horizontal in background

Looking through the vertical elements to see horizontal cantilevers behind.

 Birds eye view showing the structure moving out of the depression and up around the rise of contours.





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the two vertically positioned triangles that run parallel with each other. I think it can give the user a very powerful experience as it conceals/reveals the viewing platform and the expanse of the view offered by the valley-like depression. I also find that the spaces you created with those overlapping triangle slabs rather ingenious. These spaces can offer the user a more intimate dialogue with certain areas of your site.

    I think you could also try exploring the size of these triangle slabs, and its visual impact on the user.

    Hope my assessment was constructive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Clarence, appreciate your comments, and yes I agree further study could done into expanding the cantilever platforms, I really wanted it to grow around the contour and also become an extension to the "hill". I think the vertical elements add a really strong focal point, i would imagine this to be the "entrance" to the structure and directing the eye upwards showing height in the structure, also runs with my theme of vertical from one view and horizontal from another.

    ReplyDelete