Monday 15 April 2013

Final Contour (Site) Model - Selwyn Guo

Initially I planned on making the site model directly based on my original refined contour drawing. After analyzing the different contour shapes among the drawing, I realized that because of the lack of contour lines for each area of elevation and depression, it would be hard to achieve a strong sense of depth when building the actual site model and to match the minimum height of 75mm.




I then decided to focus on one particular area for the site model, I had to enlarge that area by nearly 600% on the scanner to fit the 420 x 420mm scale. Once enlarged I was able to add more contour lines in the spaces so that when making the model it will match the height proposed by the brief and also to portrait the steepness of the slopes more smoothly.


I picked this particular area because of the steep pit located at the center while it's surrounded by elevated landscape. I figured the "emptiness" of this pit would help me better to express the relationship between mass and void for the next part of the project.


Finally, I constructed the final model with double layered cardboard and sprayed painted it black so that it would contrast with the mass + void model. Overall I was quite happy with the final product, the model's dimensions all met the brief's requirements, exactly at 420 x 420 x 75 mm.


No comments:

Post a Comment