Wednesday 24 April 2013

Lessons From the First Studio Project + Crit - Clarence Lee

Hi guys, seeing what Leigh has done, I thought that it might also be good to share some of the personal lessons which I have learned from Studio and the Crit in general. To be honest, there were times when I felt that it was a complete waste of my time haha. Nevertheless there were quite a few lessons that I picked up from the experience.

Studio Work
1. I think Studio Work is like a fight. You enter the "match" with a fixed amount of stamina and you have to plan your moves wisely so that you do not waste too much energy. To strike and miss is bad. To strike but not draw you closer to winning is also bad. Once you have a good idea of an iteration, you should commit your entire being into producing it; I personally prefer the idea of having fewer iterations but of good quality. However, stamina for studio still remains one of my biggest problems because when I do not believe in what I am doing, I tend to give slipshod work.

2. I think Studio Work is about learning how do handle restrictions and making the best out of these restrains. Perhaps, the more we give ourselves a "handicap", the more focused and concentrated our work becomes.

3. I also think preparation for Studio Work is really important. Other than preparing the necessary tools for Studio, there is also the idea of reading/exploring widely so that you can pluck ideas faster and therefore produce even more sophisticated and relevant work. In the concept art world, they call it "building your visual vocabulary". I think in the architectural world, it goes beyond just visual vocabulary - it's about being aware of other perspectives and concepts. It gets really daunting when I think of this...

Crit
1. I think it really helps train your oratorical skills. I am still looking into how I can be clearer of what I am doing throughout my design process, so that I can present even more complex ideas.

Anyway, here's are two links which I think are pretty relevant.

A) http://www.intlistings.com/articles/2007/top-100-architecture-blogs/

have fun drowning in the ideas...

B) http://archrecord.construction.com/features/critique/2011/1104follies.asp

this is quite an interesting work that is kind of similar to our current project...

Happy working ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment