Tuesday 9 April 2013

Wood, Wire and Paper Models- by Leigh Garner

Here are some images of my wood, wire and paper models. I noticed that my contours created two different directions on each face of my 3D shape- a Prism. One face having horizontal lines at various lengths and the other being vertical with some on on an angle, also through the core it had a lot of circular random contour lines which almost matched at either ends,  I have tried to translate this into each of my models below.

Wooden Model

I have created a central structural core frame to this model, the frame wraps around the front face to reveal only horizontal lines and to the rear vertical, on the other opposite elevations it creates a circular  pattern similar to the contours. I have also used smaller pieces of wood to represent the directions of the contours on either elevation.
Elevation showing the vertical and angular lines, also with the central core post.

Opposite elevation showing horizontal lines at varying lengths

I have tried to represent the random design on the other two faces with the ends of the smaller pieces of wood.

Paper Model

On the either two ends I wanted to represent the circular rounded shapes of the contours by creating these curved sections.

This elevation was intended to show the vertical and angular lines with the horizontal lines further back in the distance.

This side shows the varying lengths in the horizontal lines with the different layers of the curved elements.

Wire Model

My goal for this model was to keep the whole wire frame as one continuous shape with no breaks.

The vertical/ angular elevation almost following the exact contour lines, the random curved lines to the central core behind and in the distance the horizontal.

Again the same as the previous just reversed with the horizontal lines to front and vertical in distance.


The central core showing the random curved lines connecting to the other side.

Conclusion:

I originally thought the wire model would of proved to be the easiest to create, and also the model that would represent my contours the best and the wood to be the more difficult, this was in-fact the complete opposite, the wooden model I found was the more interesting and easiest one to create as it allowed me to experiment with straight lines on lines that wasn't truly straight.  

Here are some of my sketchbook drawings that I created before crafting my models.
























1 comment:

  1. I too am a huge fan of sketching. It's an awesome way of exploring ideas and concepts quickly. I think you've done a great job utilising this skill to help define ur models. And look forward to ur final. :)

    ReplyDelete