Sunday 14 April 2013

Negotiating the Void - Yujin Nah

On my 3D acetate contour model, I have noticed that there was a central point on the base of the prism. Also it had the circulating lines around the angled sides. For my wood, wire and paper models I have focused on showing these ideas, along with the contrast between curves and edges, which is my main concept.
 
Wooden Model:
I have created the main structure using the centre point of the base mentioned earlier. One end of each wooden stick were linked to create the base shape and then the other end were lengthened out to follow the contour lines to the side. This created the ring-like shape when viewed from the top.



Although the wooden sticks are very edged, by assembling it into a ring shape creates the concept of contrast. Also to give an indication of the prism shape, which it came from, added a triangular frame on top of the main structure.


I will develop the wooden model by adding more circular shapes to the existing structure to create more interesting interior space, with more intersecting patterns.


Wire Model:
The wire model was what I started on first because I thought wire was going to be the easiest to deal with; I also spent the most time on wire then other materials. I tried out many times but all turned out looking quite similar. For the first and second models, I only focused on the contours of the acetate and so the interior space was not explored as much. It was very easy to make certain shapes and forms but it was restricting me to see the interior. Then, I tried moving out the contour lines on to the other side without finishing off, and then going back again to create intersecting lines within the triangular frame. Together, the springs were formed linking one circle to the other, adding to the interior space.

 First Wire Model
 
 
Final Wire Model
 
 
 
 
Paper Model:
The paper model was the most difficult material for me to portray what I was intending to do. The paper had the planar property which arised this difficulty, as my contours were mostly curved. Therefore, for the paper model, I was infering that the curved contour lines as straight edges. I also tried to still give the sense of curvature; circular shape, so, I have layered each part in a stepping motion, like a spiral staircase.


Side View
Top View






2 comments:

  1. Lover the paper model. Clean lines creating spaces. I think this is your moat successful model as it not only 'creates' different spaces but occupies space giving it a sense of mass. It's also gives the impression of a pyramid without actually conforming to the primitive shape. :) well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely description London!! It describes and makes much more sense than mine:)

    ReplyDelete