Sunday 21 April 2013

Site Contour Model - Ivana Vaglenarova

I created my contour site model based on my final refined contour drawing of my initial ink blot. This site model has the scale of 1:1 when compared to my contour drawing. The size of the model is 420mm x 420mm.


The contours that surround the main three images in the center are interpreted and not included within the contour drawing. I did this by following the shapes and indents that the main images made, to create more layers and contours that show depth and height within the site.  

I mainly focused on the circular aspects of my contour drawing when I created my site model. I felt that by doing that I would be representing my contour drawing a lot more, and giving my site model an interesting, organic feature to the landscape I was creating. I managed to stay away from linear lines within my model, which I am happy about. This is due to my material (cardboard) and my influenced from my contour drawing.

When I created my site model, I really liked the way that height was created by layering up lots of cardboard on top of each other. It shows a three-dimensional factor that creates more space within the model. 

Therefore, when I was thinking of what aspect of my original site model to recreate when making my second iteration, I decided to include the area that had the most height, but also an area that still included the circular features of the original model. 
(only uploads upside down for some reason)

When creating this model, I still stuck to the 420mm x 420mm size recommendation. However my scale drastically changed. My previous model was 1:1 compared to my refined contour drawing, and this model is approximately 1:150. This means that for every dimension that I calculated on my original site model, I enlarged it by 1.5. 

In the end, it has turned out much more refined than my previous site model. There are still things i would like to add to it. For example, more circular features and probably more layers going down into the card to show depth. 


Feedback would be greatly appreciated :) 


2 comments:

  1. Ivana, your contour models are coming along well. I am so pleases to see that you have started producing another model.
    Some suggestions that could help:
    In your previous model you increases the number of contour lines to help build up the number of layers, and you have suggested you may do something similar in the second iteration. This is a good idea! Have a look at how you might build up some of the emptier space in the model. Remember, the more you do this, the more you will have to work with for the locating of the mass and void model.
    It will be great to see some photos of how that is coming along as well.
    Don't forget to keep thinking about scale.
    Great work so far! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete