Sunday 21 April 2013

planar, wooden and wire models - Ross kingston



i found using wood for my models to be quite an interesting experience as I had never done any model building until now. It was quite hard when doing angles as gluing them was a problem because of trying to maintain that exact angle. these were the three mock ups I experienced with and made which gave me a great understanding of shape and filling the void.





My final wood model i found to be a success as it filled a lot of the void within my 3D acetate model and doesn't have the obvious shape of a pyramid as that what i tried to stay away from.this turned out to what i feel is the most successful model out of my three finals as i feel it meets the criteria quite well



I found working with paper wasn't as easy as i thought it would be because there were a lot of difficulties trying to come up with the shapes and connecting those shapes with an interior link to fill the void.

My final paper model was successful but i feel didn't capture as much of the void as the other two finals did. this i feel would be my least successful out of the lot but i did capture the shapes within the acetate model and applied it to my final planar model



wire was one of the most hardest materials to make models with as bending the wire into shape wasn't easy. When creating my wire mock ups I was filling the void but not exploring the entire acetate model.




My wire model was very successful even though it was one of the harder materials to work with. I utilized the shapes and the interior void of my acetate model and came up with a model that had a very abstract shape as I didn't try to concentrate on how the model looked but more concentrating on the void within the model and it really paid off in the end.



























































































1 comment:

  1. Great to see you blogging your work Ross.
    One of the interesting aspects of your work comes from the development through iterations. It would good to see you discuss the the moves you made, what spaces you were trying to capture, how it is that you have filled the void (or not).
    Remember that when you tell people about your work we want to hear more about your ideas and concepts, why it is that you have done something, so that we can assess how successful we think the work is.
    Good work so far. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete