Monday 8 April 2013

Negotiating The Void - Giordano Santana


The negotiating the void part of project 1 was initially hard for me to understand perfectly but after exploring in to the different methods with each material, I was able to produce 3 final models.

I began with my paper model (planar). The paper was very easy to cut and manipulate but I struggled to clearly communicate the void from my acetate contour to my paper model.  I tried different overlaps and cuts and also had a combination of curves and straight lines.












With the wire model (curvilinear), I approached the method of construction possibly not as effective as I could have.  I think that initially I was not understanding the crafty properties of the wire.  After realising that cutting seperate pieces and then connecting them was not the way to go for me, I decided to produce a model only using one continuous wire.



The wooden model was the most anticipated model method for me.  I enjoyed the very linear property of the wood as it related to my acetate model which was mainly linear.  I started off with some quick mock ups made from popsicle sticks and then began to use the same type wood i was going to construct my final with.  






I focused mainly on the void but also tried to incorporate a slight frame to make the pyramid shape evident.
After several trials, I could gather all the positive aspects of each model to produce the final models.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent Work, My Boy! The talent shows in your ability to synthesise almost disparate forms and materials into a composition with allusions to the original form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Geo, I think you really work well with your shapes, you always seem to be producing high standard of work.

    ReplyDelete