Wednesday 10 April 2013

Site - Mass - Void. Leigh Garner

My initial site contour plan became quite detailed and varied with the number of contours running through the model (as seen below). My original thoughts were to place the triangular face of the prism over 3 distinct points on the site model and work up from there as a base but it became apparent the site was starting to become too complex due to its scale. I decided to explore other particular locations on the terrain to focus my mass object on.

My original site contour plan 

Close up of original site contour

I decided to focus on one particular contour build up and recreate a new model 300% larger, this new contour model allowed me to investigate different areas around the contours to fit my mass/ void object, I had found an inlet to the formation where I wanted to incorporate my model.

New contour site showing the chosen recess


Mass and Void Model

I started to explore the mass object by looking at my wooden model and seeing any distinct voids that I could use, I played with a few ideas running along with my theme of strong horizontal lines on one face and vertical on the other. 




I started to realise that my ideas became very similar using strong cantilevered sections with mass build up on top. I still wanted to use the concept of layering up to create the strong horizontal lines but also work organically with the natural terrain of the site.

I then started to create some ideas for the new site model and "inlet". I noticed the inlet would be able to fit the triangular shape of the prism into it (wide at front and narrow towards the back), so I started to develop on these ideas. 


Central triangular support with 3 layers 


Front View


I then started to play with the idea of staggering the layers so they could be support by the natural build up of the contours.


I found that this didn't make sufficient use of the void as it only allowed me to carve a small section out.

Here are a few other sketch ideas I developed which eventually materialised into my final concept.


I then developed on my sketches to come up with the design below, the idea is to slice the prism into multiple layers to create the triangles that I have used to create the structure, I wanted the model to fit naturally into the landscape of the contours, almost becoming a part or and extension of them.





This then developed into my final design as below, I decided to use the contours right the way to the highest point, I want the structure to seem like its part of the contour build-up rather then simply placed on top of or cut into the contours, each of the lines flow in harmony with the terrain.

FINAL DESIGN







No comments:

Post a Comment